Monday, October 8, 2012

Tangled

...and not like the Disney movie.


This "mess" of cords makes me @#%*CRAZY*%#@ !! Since it resides in the drawer right next to my keyboard, I see it often. It was meant to be a neat place to keep cords for iPods, cameras, dinosaur toys, etc. so that they don't get lost in the shuffle. It started out tidy and organized.

The other day I opened the drawer and my suppressed OCD (which will have to remain suppressed until my children have all grown and moved into their own homes--and probably my husband too) came out in full force. But instead of getting completely and senselessly annoyed, I tried a different approach. Oh, I still untangled them and bound them each very neatly side by side (where they will remain for about 30 seconds until someone needs to "charge up"). This time however, I looked at the mess of wires differently. As I untangled each cord, a thought occurred to me... Untangling those cords is like taking a bundle of life's little bits of craziness, finding a solution one by one and then putting "life" neatly back in order. Sounds deep, I know. But for me it is so true.

It mirrors the adage "don't sweat the small stuff." If you let the little things get you down, then the big things will plain and simply crush you. An argument with a family member, a rude driver on the road, a friend who is being not-so-friendly, unfinished homework at 8:29 a.m.---all small cords. When you use patience and understanding for the small cords, it's good practice for when a tangled mess of industrial-sized extension cords are thrown at you.

Yes, it is for certain that the drawer will be filled with tangled cords and wires again, just as a driver will cut me off or someone will be rude at the grocery store. But with the wisdom to patiently untangle the small stuff, comes the wisdom and the know-how to conquer the life-sized stuff, with finesse.

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment